Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Moving Memories




As we were packing and going through Every box and rubbermaid tub in the house to get ready to move again, going through the 'box to save - Memories are in here' boxes ... my heart laughed and cried at the same time... laughing at the love I felt remembering but crying for the memories we wish we had back.. Memories from Great grand parents.. Grandparents but also from when my babies were small.. little ones with I LOVE YOU mommy forever and ever cards and pictures... great little pictures with the words written all over them .. I love you mom! The grocery lists and the 'reimbursement checks' in Mom-moms handwriting. The many score sheets from YAHTZEE .. or Canasta... Skipbo ... those I will cherish many many years... The time spent with Mama and Mom-mom playing these games was times they spent with me... we talked many a subjects playing these games... Just being together .. I can almost hear her laughing or calling me a stink pot when I was getting the upper hand.
I remember many times with Lisa my cousin (close as a sister) and I would spend the night with Mama we would play games into the night. Mama would cheat and Lisa and I would snicker across the table... Mama had no idea we were smart enough to know that when we turned our heads she would flip the yahtzee dice over to what she needed... We would play with laughter and fun until we couldn't play any more... Mama would usher us up to the bedroom upstairs after a quick question if we wanted to sleep with her.. Lisa and I were always quick to say no thank you .. I was a bed wetter and she would never reprimand me for the 'accidents' .. she would say something like.. ' I didn't know it rained last night.. that roof must be leaking again! The next morning after getting the sheets off the bed and the breakfast dishes done we would go to work on Mama showing us how to mop the floors and dust the house .. because thats what we loved doing .. being with Mama.. no matter what she needed us to do for her.. There were times Mama would be in the hospital and Lisa and I would get to 'sit' with her.. we would keep her laughing and she would keep us running... She would need things and we'd go get them.. now thinking back on it I think she might have asked us to go get things so she'd have a few minutes to rest.. but all in all ... her laughter and her having us around would always keep her getting well enough to go home... She had an enlarged heart and the doctors never knew when she would go.. as I got older I worried that I would be there when she 'went' so I started staying away. I look back now and grieve for the time I was too fearful to stay with her when I had a wonderful chance to be with my Mama! I loved her so!!! Mom-mom moved into a trailer behind her house when she passed away. I would go to Mom-mom's and get her paper in the morning on my way to work and take it to her front door so she didn't have to go out to the driveway (which was the alley) to get it. In the afternoons Hillary and Jeremy and I would go to her house and we'd clean or mow or play games with her... She was a blessing for us. .. and we were a blessing for her! Jeremy and Hillary grew up knowing and loving Mom-mom like Lisa and I loved Mama! Family is so precious!!! I wish I could put down every memory so no one forgets the love that Mama and Mom-mom had. Paw-paw and Papa were just as loving .. they too were so wonderful to be around! Papa passed away when I was 5 so I don't have a LOT of memories of him... The only memories I have specifically are us running to the car after him when he was pulling in the driveway because no matter how many kids came running he had a small snack bag of cheese puffs or potato chips... He'd hand them out with lots of love and hugs!!! I remember his 'wake' ... his casket in the living room of Mama's house. People were milling around the house talking and being there.. it seemed that nothing was amiss... but there was something terribly wrong... terribly! It just wasn't natural. It didn't dawn on me until later .. that his body was there but he wasn't . I knew they said he had died but only after coming back and he wasn't there .. forever .... then I realized what death really was.
Ok.. sorry to get on that subject.. just my mind pouring over the memories of days gone by.!
Moving and seeing pass me down mementos from past generations just stirs up all those loves and hugs from the past! Some precious and some not so nice. Death.. its something we start doing the minute we are born.. its the only thing that is 100 % guaranteed ... One thing is for sure and certain... Facing Death with dread or joy- fear or faith- the choice is ours... Whoever Believes in Him Shall not perish - Christ makes the offer - We must make a choice !

OK Back to Moving .. making memories NOW!

















Making memories are also as important as remembering memories! It was fun letting the Isaac and Valerie help pack up their room to move... it was important that they get involved because I wasn't as doting as a grandparent with getting ready to move as they are used to... but letting them help was a good way to get them involved in the process .... Jordan and Julianne were in on the move by long distance.. reminding them that next time they come up we will live at a new house.... and they did!





What a GREAT family memory day we had...
What usually is a stressful day ended up being the most fabulous day ever!!! Enjoying the family together.. Mom and dad, Hillary and David, Jeremy and Jayme, Jordan, Isaac, Julianne and Valerie were more memory fun than we could ever ask for!! What a GREAT day!!! Jayme helped with the kitchen getting organized, Hillary couldn't do much because of her back but helped earlier in the week making meals as we were getting the house ready... Dad, David and Jeremy were a Godsend because we couldn't have done it without them!!! Mark Daye a friend of ours came and helped move furniture! Our day of moving was just full of wonderful memories! The kids loved it... getting caught up in all the 'stuff' coming in and the toys were all over everything ... playing with the 'cars' in the driveway were the most fun for them.. and Mom and I took them to the playground at the school! And we enjoyed just watching and playing and let the stress fly to another day! The day ended with joy in our hearts... (well except Julianne.. she wanted to ride a toy truck back to Pickerington.. not just take it with her but RIDE it to Pickerington.. and she wasn't a happy camper when she found out she couldn't ) I love her will and her spirit! One day it will be totally useful for what God has for her! Everything she does .. she does it BIG! It was a Good day!! Thank you Jesus Christ for my Family ! My new home! And above ALL ~YOU ! I thank ALL who joined us and helped that day.. especially Jayme for setting up my kitchen!!! I thank you openly every time I put my dishes away and go to and find an item I need!!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment